Re: porting to gconf questions

Paul Coates <Paul Coates ncl ac uk> writes:
> 1) Schemas, I understand that they provide default values for the
> name/value pairs as well as descriptions of each variable, which can be
> used later by a gconf editor and hopefully a documentation system, but
> do you actually need one to start using gconf? Can I just create one at
> a later date?

You could, but then you would end up never getting around to it I
bet. ;-) Bad developer! Bad!

> 2) If applications are supposed to start sharing common name/value pairs
> like background image filenames or http proxy settings where should they
> be stored in the tree? If applications are /apps/Nautilus etc I am
> guessing under /system but has there been a decision on the
> sub-directory structure under /system and just where should http_proxy
> be stored?

There are some comments on naming conventions in the SGML docs. I
think background should be in /desktop/gnome. For http proxy
I guess /desktop/gnome makes sense too. I'm not sure what I intended
with /system, it doesn't make much sense to me anymore.

If you have a specific suggestion for http proxy why don't we write up
a schema file and have it come with some base package and get people
to use the same key.