Re: GConf editor tool

Erik Johnsson <zaphod linux nu> writes:

> I have been playing with GTK+-2.0's GtkTreeView lately and it resulted
> in a little application that is able to browse the GConf directories.
> Therefor i am now wondering how the GConf editor tool is going.
> I looked in the mailing-list archives and found a post about it back in
> Januar. Then I saw a Havoc Penningtons brainstorming post on the
> gnome-love-list, where he mensions a GConf editor tool.
> Has this project started at all? I've read about a few programs, but I'm
> wondering how the "official" (if such a thing exists) is doing. Is there
> any code avaliable?

There's a gconf-editor module in CVS with a start on this by Tomas and
Colm, but I think there's a lot of work to be done. (I mean a toplevel
gconf-editor module, not the subdirectory that is or used to be in
GConf itself.)

I do think we need to port to GTK 2 and use the tree view eventually -
CTree isn't going to scale properly.

Unfortunately GTK 2 + GConf is pretty uncompilable at the moment due
to ORBit chaos.

But no doubt there's lots of work still possible in the GTK 1.2 copy
of the tool. I'm sure those guys would love help on it.