Mandatory settings

ERDI Gergo <cactus cactus rulez org> writes:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > Uhhh... No. In fact, recompiled programs (or programs staticly linked
> > against a modified gconf) are totally out of the scope of what a standard
> > coniguration library should provide.
> >
> > Enforcing the use of known good libraries/programs is a totally separate
> > issue.
>
> Yes, I agree -- and this is why I think we shouldn't implement
> restrictions that can be easily circumvented by recompiling an
> application.

You can't really implement secure settings; an app can always be
recompiled to not use GConf at all, and just have the hardcoded
settings a user desires.

This doesn't mean "locked" settings aren't useful. 99% of users won't
change locked settings. The idea is just to keep people from
accidentally messing up the system or confusing themselves.