Re: TODO #1: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability

(bonobo-conf is a GConf wrapper)

FYI, Havoc and/or I will take a look at the GConf 1.x/2.0 interoperability
issue mentioned below next week; follow-ups with fix/workaround details
will go to gnome-2-0-list and gconf-list.

BTW, I'd like to send on some thoughts about a proposed core schema
for GConf-configured GNOME applications; more to follow... ;)

Colm.

>To: Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org>
>Cc: gnome-2-0-list gnome org
>Subject: Re: TODO #1: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability
>From: Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com>
>
>Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
>
>> Three things need to be done:
>>
>> a) Make sure you can install GNOME 1.x and 2.0 under the same
>>    prefix, currently this doesn't work.
>>
>>    [Medium priority: blocks binary packages, but at the moment
>>                      we aren't doing any binary packages and the
>>                      vicious-build-scripts install everything into
>>                      a different prefix anyways.]
>
>This involves making the gnome-vfs branch.  Is now a good time for this
>to happen?
>
>> b) OAF - make sure than you can run GNOME 2 applications with
>>          the GNOME 1.x oafd and vice-versa.
>>
>>    [High priority: Blocks almost everything, especially testing on a GNOME
1.x
>>                    desktop.]
>>
>> c) GCONF - GConf is optional in GNOME 2 since we're using bonobo-config,
>>            but it needs to be fixed anyways. At the moment, you cannot start
>>            any GNOME 1.x applications while the GNOME 2 gconfd is running and
>>            vice-versa.
>>
>>    [Low priority: GConf is optional in GNOME 2 core libraries and this is no
API