Re: GConf editor tool

> Hi Erik,

> >> I did some early GUI prototypes (just mockups, no code) for this a few
> >> months ago-- although I'm not sure which of these Tomas ended up basing
> >> his prototype on because I haven't seen it yet!
> >>
> >> Anyway, you can see my prototypes at
> >> http://canvas.gnome.org/~gman/GConf/index.html -- for my money, #5 and
> >> #6 have the most potential to be workable designs, but they all have
> >> usability problems of one kind or another so more thought is certainly
> >> required.
> >>

> We'd definitely appreciate any input you have to offer on the gconf-editor. I
> based the GUI on Calum's prototypes, although in the interests of getting a
> basic prototype completed I didn't implement some of the more advanced features,
> like the Details button which would allow you to expand/collapse the main window
> to show details about a particular key or schema (I actually tried to implement
> it but the box packing was frying my brain so I gave up :))
>
> At the moment you can browse the default gconf database and add, delete and edit
> keys. Colm Smyth wrote the C++ classes which the GUI uses to interact with the
> gconf api, it simplified maintaining the state of keys being edited greatly.
> They still need some work also, eg. handling notifications from gconfd.
>
> There's lots of other features that could be added, searching, copying, better
> presentation of key values, applying schemas to keys etc. etc. etc. I haven't
> looked at porting to gtk 2.0 yet, I might wait until gtk is more stable for
> that.
>
> Tom

Hi!

I don't really know anything about this, but isn't there a problem with
writing a GConf editor in C++? I thought that GNOME was supposed to be
written in C for portability. This was probably just the core libraries,
but some might argue that core programs (like gconf-editor) should
also be written in C. Or has this changed?

Erik Johnsson