Re: GConf design problems?

On Thu, 2001-08-23 at 11:10, Hongli Lai wrote:
> I understand that GConf stores everything in an XML file.
> However, wouldn't that make things slower after a while?
> The more configuration is stored using GConf, the bigger
> the database gets.
> Does that mean that the database will get slower as time
> pass, because it gets more difficult to parse?

A larger XML file doesn't have to mean significantly slower access
times.  Furthermore, each GConf "directory" has its own XML file where
the key/schema data is stored, so all of your eggs aren't in one basket.
Take a look around in ~/.gconf/ to see what I mean.

But the XML backend is also independent of GConf design.

> And some people fear that the GConf database will corrupt
> just like the Windows registry.
> Or it may corrupt after a filesystem crash, they said.
> How big is the chance that something like this happens

That's much more dependent on the OS, the filesystem driver, and the
backend rather than GConf.

> Just how good/bad is GConf?

Pretty good in my experiences.

--