Re: remote configuration sources

> I think the core gconf
> people need to deside what constitutes configuration data and what
> constitutes user data, and if both should be supported in gconf. If you
> want both, my suggestion is to look over LDAP closly and see if it would
> suit your needs (I think it would), find a server that would work (I dont
> know any easy to install ones so one might need to be created) and go from
> there.

i would agree that in general the core gconf people need to make that
decision.

I did just see an acap doc that compared it to a bunch of existing
protocols.... and ldap was included.  There was a bunch of overlap, but
their primary beef with ldap was that it's all administrator setup, so
clients can't really add/modify data, which is obviously important for the
applications i was talking about.  Do a search for acap-vs-others.html and
you should find that document....

Ken