Re: [patch] eliminate duplicate macros

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> I see. I guess I was premature in celebrating the demise of
> installed aclocal .m4 files.

Sadly, there are other reasons to use those besides finding the
cflags/libs.

> At some point, I'd like to understand which gconf-using packages
> need to invoke AM_GCONF_SOURCE in their configure.in files. Perhaps
> the gconf documentation is the right place to answer this question.

Indeed it should be documented. Marco maybe toss something into the
docs?

Brief answer: any package that installs schema files will need to
select a GConf source to install the schemas into (such as
xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults or whatever).

This macro causes configure.in to define a variable which is the
source you should install into, and adds a configure option
--with-gconf-source that lets people override the default one.

On my "things I would like to do" list, high enough that I might even
get to it someday, is "fix Nautilus to actually install/use schemas,"
so I can fix up Nautilus to use this at that time.