0700 permissions considered harmful?

There's code in gconfd.c on the gconf-1-0 branch, open_append_handle to be
specific, that creates a directory with 0700 permissions. Isn't this a
problem? Because I am a member of the group darin, as well as being user
darin. So with 0700 permissions, and the file owned by darin/darin, I have 0
permissions to this file!

I ask because gconf just "stopped working" for me today. I get "no writable
database" from all calls. I started to debug and this was the first anomaly
I ran into.

    -- Darin