Re: backends (ldap)

>From: monkeyiq dingoblue net au
>Its not that the interface to openldap is *that* painfull, its
just not one that
>I would look forward to using, sort of a "you really must be sure
that
>you want LDAP before using this" type thing, whereas the Java one
is
>just that much simpler to use. It seems that there are wrappers
avail for
>everything but C++, python, perl, java, tk, ... It might be
easier to just use
>C (_maybe_ with one or two ++ classes just to designs sake) after
all
>this is a backend to a system library, I would not wait to use
Java for this
>but it seems that there is very much mixed reactions to Java +
Linux anyway.

There is a standard C API to LDAP (an IETF standard, see
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1823.txt?number=1823). I'd say
that if you're looking for something like a C++ version
of JNDI, you will have a lot of complexity to deal with,
since JNDI does not impose too many constraints on
what is a "naming context", whereas you will need to
find some way to map GConf's hierarchical key
structures to LDAP.

There's one other issue with LDAP; most deployments have
a specific schema and use OU's to segregate different
user's directory data; it would be really nice if
the GConf address for an LDAP database could specify
something about this OU structure.

I've given some thought to this, if you want to take it
to private mail, just drop me a line!

Colm.