Re: backends (ldap)

Colm Smyth wrote:

> Very cool! LDAP is a very powerful directory service and it's
> widely used - I'm sure this backend will be popular.

Uh, my ticket to fame + fortune (or something). Though it is
nice to know that my code _will_ actually be used...

> >I am starting out small, trying to get read/write access going (string
> >type only), before doing metadata and other data types etc.
>
> You might like to take a look at some routines that I wrote
> for the BDB (BerkeleyDB) backend to encode all of the GConf
> data-types as strings - the files are backend/val-encode.[ch].

I currently encode it to
dn=whatever
type=(string | int | float | pair ... )
value=GConfValue_toString()
and if its a pair I save type info for car and cdr.

Though I need an LDAP schema and special objectclass for these to make it
simpler for sys admins.

> The GString routines are actually a big help for string
> concatenation, which is something you do a lot when
> manipulating keys or constructing string values.

Oddly I used the gchar* ones ... if I am going to the pain
of memory mgmt then I usually go all out.