Gnome Screensaver doesn't lock screen

Hi,

I built Garnome 2.20.0 on my Debian Etch box. It works quite well
(except some software that refuses to build, see my other postings), but
I am not able to lock the screen, neither when gnome-screensaver starts
up after some time nor by explicitly clicking on the "lock screen"
button in the panel. The screensaver starts, but when I press any key,
my desktop returns and I am not asked for my password. This does not
seem to be an upstream bug, as I did not experience this behaviour with
the Gnome 2.20 live CD from Foresight Linux.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Bastian