Re: freedesktop.org programs not in /freedesktop

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 21:53 +0000, Peter wrote:
> Really a small matter, but several fdo applications are not in the fdo
> directory. Some, like startup-notification really don't need to be in
> desktop. Here's a grepped list of the fdo apps living elsewhere.

startup-notification in particular has been moved into desktop/ too
early, when it got mostly positive feedback after being proposed for
inclusion into GNOME. Unfortunately, the collective community changed
its mind later on... ;)

Peter, you are totally right.  We are aware of most of these, and
actually a few more garballs that should be moved around. Unfortunately,
we didn't have the time yet, to properly shuffle them. We are, however,
aware of this fact and I hope to get around to this soon.

> ./bindings/gst-python/

Huh, true... Not part of the official bindings, should be moved.

> ./bootstrap/liboil/

Ah, so it moved home...

> ./desktop/gstreamer/ (I understand why this is here)
> ./desktop/startup-notification/
> ./desktop/gst-plugins-base/ (this too)
> ./desktop/gst-plugins-good/ (ditto)

Yep. Gstreamer officially is part of the Desktop suit (in spite of
living on fd.o). See above for startup-notification.

> ./geektoys/gst-ffmpeg/
> ./geektoys/gst-plugins-bad/
> ./geektoys/gst-plugins-ugly/
> ./geektoys/gnome-mount/

Again, probably true. However, historically speaking, one particular
beauty of the freedesktop/ meta garball was, that it pretty much has
been split out of bootstrap -- and thus could be built prior to
desktop/, similar to bootstrap/ and platform/. This changed already long
ago, and with todays cross-dependencies between apps from various meta
garballs, the "dir build order" isn't as clean as it used to be, and as
I'd prefer it be. Well, that's the whole point in maintaining LIBDEPS
anyway. :)

> I realize this could mean a bit of work, but it seems to me that the whole
> point of having the fdo directory is to keep programs from it together.

Also, initially, to get 'em out of bootstrap/. ;)

> If it were my call, I'd move them to fdo.

Peter, thanks for pointing this out. :)  I hope to clean up stuff like
this during the current unstable cycle.

  guenther