Mono on amd64 ?

So I'm having a heck of a time getting Mono working with the 2.18.0
release (mono 1.2.3.1). Everything goes fine until the corlib
compilation starts, at which point I either get mcs segfaults or the
rather discouraging:
System/__ComObject.cs(233) error CS0029: Cannot convert implicitly from
`System.Runtime.InteropServices.CallingConvention' to
`System.Runtime.InteropServices.CallingConvention'
System/__ComObject.cs(236) error CS0029: Cannot convert implicitly from
`System.Runtime.InteropServices.CallingConvention' to
`System.Runtime.InteropServices.CallingConvention'

(huh?)

I've checked the most common solutions to this kind of thing
(dataseg size limitation, -fexeceptions), rebuild with four
difference gcc vesions (3.3.3, 3.4.4, 4.0.0, 4.1.0), enabled static
monolib but still no luck. Running it under gdb gets me a 'SIGPWR'
(?!) - I obviously need to rebuild with -g.

But I'm looking for one of those wonderful 'I know exactly what that is'
kind of comments I've come to expect from this list before I go off and
bother the mono folks..

SLES9 x86_64
GCC: 3.3.3
glibc: glibc-2.3.3