Building redundant X11 libs

Howdy!  After spending a frustrating couple of weeks trying to build
Gnome 2.18.3 the Linux From Scratch way, I thought I'd "cheat" and let
Garnome do the work for me.

It's great, but I notice it's building some packages that I already have
installed, such as Xft and Xrender.  It seems to be finding and using
the other X.org packages OK.

Now, I'm old-school and I still build my major platforms (X11, Gnome,
KDE) in their own separate branches of the /usr hierarchy, so I have Xft
and the like in /usr/X11R7/lib.  pkg-config knows to look
in /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig, and that directory is included
in /etc/ld.so.conf, so I know those libraries are visible.

What would cause garnome to miss the fact that those programs already
exist, and try to install its own copy of them locally?

I'm sure I will have more stupid questions as the project continues, but
that's the only one so far.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Find out how you can get spam free email.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/3