failure to compile libgnomeui on 2.18.0

To whoever
about six weeks ago I tried garnome 2.17.92 this fired up on command for me , after some shenanigans which ended up with a total rebuild . I cannot now create a gnomesession without art _alloc type faults in it . How do the under pinnings of the 2.17.92 differ at this point from the 2.18.0 which fails to build a 'session . changing the version upon the libbonoboui back to 2.17.94 does not work and nether this or its successor appear faulty , in the build log .
the system is a BlueWhite 64 opteron
B.S.J.W. Stephenson