Garnome fails to build ekiga

Garnome 2.16.0 fails to build ekiga with the following error message:

/home/max/garnome/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to
`FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [ekiga] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [build-work/main.d/ekiga-2.0.3/Makefile] Error 2
make: *** [paranoid-install] Error 2

I don't understand this error because FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
belongs to freetype2 and should have been correctly
compiled by garnome so I suppose that this indicates a bug
in garnome.

Also, cairo is able to find FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden:

checking for GLITZ_AGL...
checking for GLITZ_EGL...
checking for GLITZ_GLX... yes
checking for GLITZ_WGL...
checking for cairo's FreeType font backend...
checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
checking for FcFini... no
checking for FREETYPE... yes
checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend could be enabled... yes
configure: creating src/cairo-ft.pc
checking for FT_Bitmap_Size.y_ppem... yes
checking for FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden... yes
checking for FT_Load_Sfnt_Table... yes
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for cairo's PostScript backend...

garnome fails to build ekiga and is unable to continue.