Re: Error on compile - /gossip-idle.c:54: undefined reference to `XScreenSaverAllocInfo'

On 9/9/06, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco comcast net> wrote:
Adam,

A good guess would be that a "devel" package for X11 needs to be
installed from your distro.

On my system, an FC4 clone,  XScreenSaverAllocInfo is defined in

        /usr/include/X11/extensions/xscrnsaver.h

which is provided by

    xorg-x11-devel

-Joseph

Joseph,

Thaks for your reply. Unfortunately, I think the problem is caused by
a bug in a debian package xlibs-dev which is unavailable at the
moment. There are lots of bugs filed for this pacakge [1] for all the
different packages that depend on it.

I've tried downloading the script referenced at [2], which seemed to
run OK, but didn't make any different to the compile problem. Another
solution is to hardcode the references to the libraries, but that is
the hardway[TM].

Perhaps one way forward is to delete Fifth-toe from my compile? How
would I go about that? (I'm not even sure what Fifth-toe is - I've
never used it before.)

Another, less desirable at the moment, but long term solution is to
install Ubuntu ;-)

TIA
Adam

Adam