2.17.2-yelp crashes when at-spi service not enabled

If at-spi is enabled, its daemon loads on startup and yelp runs ok. If
at-spi is disabled at startup, yelp crashes with the following:

the warnings (yelp:22580) extend for several pages, but occur whether or
not there is a crash due to at-spi.

(yelp:22580): Yelp-WARNING **: Could not locate section n for history.n
(yelp:22580): Yelp-WARNING **: Could not locate section n for bitmap.n
(yelp:22580): Yelp-WARNING **: Could not locate section n for re_syntax.n
** CRITICAL **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup. aborting...
** (bug-buddy:22590): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon for Bonobo Component Browser
** (bug-buddy:22590): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon for Open Folder

However, IF at-spi is enabled, gnome apps run OK, but NOT in other window
managers. For example, to run evolution in e, gnome-settings-daemon must
be started as normal, but at-spi must be unchecked otherwise evo will
abort saying that the AT SPI REGISTRY was not started.

(of course, the way I muck around with mixing libraries, this could be my
own doing) :)

--
Peter