Re: Q: Performance of gnome when mounted via NFS

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 14:20 -0400, Keith Hanlan wrote:
> If I were to build garnome and install it on an NFS mount, would the
> resulting performance suffer greatly? In this environment, the NFS
> servers and network are top-end industrial - but they're not going to be
> as good as local filesystem access.

Due to a lack of resources I never tried this... ;)

Seriously, of course this all depends on your network and server
infrastructure. With all locally running apps and a network storage for
the $prefix only, I wouldn't expect a huge performance drop, given a
fast network and servers. However, please note that I do not have a lot
of experience with this.

> We're using RHEL4 which is distributing Evolution 2.0.2 and I want to
> provide an updated version (2.6.1) without having to update the 100+
> desktops themselves.
>
> Supplemental: is there an easy way to determine the minimal set of
> packages necessary to build evolution 2.6.1 given my current
> environment? I'm not interested in updating Gnome per se - just the
> evolution application.

Determining the apps that would be built as deps for Evolution can be
done easily:

$ make -C desktop/evolution showdeps

However, you don't even have to care about the deps, since GARNOME does
this for you. When building for example the desktop/ meta garball,
GARNOME will resolve and build the deps that are necessary. Same for
picking any random app and building this one only. (Of course, limited
to the GNOME provided and a bunch of additional apps. There are
dependencies that are/can not be provided by GARNOME. See the README.)

That said... IMHO you should consider building the entire desktop/ at
least and maybe a few of the additional apps you might like, and switch
the GNOME Desktop version entirely.

The goal of GARNOME is not to build a single app and integrate it into
your existing desktop, but to provide a distro independent GNOME Desktop
distribution.

Hint: You definitely want to change the main_prefix variable in
gar.conf.mk. Please see the README regarding this. :)

If you actually are going to try this, I'd be really interested in any
results you can provide, including a DEPS list for RHEL4. :-)

...guenther