Q: Performance of gnome when mounted via NFS

If I were to build garnome and install it on an NFS mount, would the
resulting performance suffer greatly? In this environment, the NFS
servers and network are top-end industrial - but they're not going to be
as good as local filesystem access.

We're using RHEL4 which is distributing Evolution 2.0.2 and I want to
provide an updated version (2.6.1) without having to update the 100+
desktops themselves.

Supplemental: is there an easy way to determine the minimal set of
packages necessary to build evolution 2.6.1 given my current
environment? I'm not interested in updating Gnome per se - just the
evolution application.

Thank you,
Keith Hanlan
Ottawa