Re: Firefox detection

A while back the GNOMEs made a decision to make firefox the "offical"
gecko engine for GNOME.  We thought the user should have a choice of
gecko engines, given how much time it takes to build firefox.  Hence,
the scripting foo in the GARNOME makefiles.

I am slowly coming around to the opinion that we should just use
firefox. If that is what we decide to do [note the 'if'], then the
scripting foo will need to evolve to probe for the presence of an
existing installation of firefox that is *adequate* to build the GNOME
apps. Note that vendors originally provided implementations of firefox
that did not contain any of the development pieces. This was one of the
reasons we added firefox to bootstrap.

For what it's worth, I build GARNOME starting with firefox first. This
approach saves me a whole lot of pain.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net