Re: pwlib / gnomemeeting build errors with garnome 2.13.5

Picking up some loose ends...

[...]
> With a big shot like the whole GNOME package I didn't expect to
> succed at the first attempt. Using gcc4.0.1-5mdk on the latest garnome,
> the HD is full of GNOME stuff, after about 30 hours of reading, testing,
> googeling and installing. Gamin was only able to compile with
> --disable-inotify for example,

Known issue, mentioned a few times on this list. Exactly that is the
point of having these configure options mentioned in the Makefile,
although commented out. Without 'em, gamin automatically detects, which
backends to build. Or better, it tries. For some reasons it fails
sometimes, detecting inotify support -- not sure if the detection is
wrong, or if inotify support is broken in the distro. I do suffer from
the very same... ;)

> and I don't know how many warnings I've
> seen by now.

Hehe. Ignore warnings. Or hack the code and fix the warnings. :)

[...]
> This leaves me with a suggestion for upcoming versions of garnome.
> For testing purpose it would be nice to have an option like in-between
> of make-install and make-paranoid.
> If I got it right "make install" doesn't stop at errors and "make
> paranoid-install stops at the first error. So when building the whole
> directory tree I'd like to "resume" building after the first error, more
> precisely: go on with "make paranoid-install" and skip the faulty
> module.

Hmm, I don't see this happen.

The problem is, which ones would be ok to skip? Yes, it is not an issue
at all, to skip a garball like evolution-webcal. But it is basically
impossible to skip a garball like evolution-data-server, since it is
integrated pretty deeply into GNOME. Even the panel applets depend on
it. So skipping e-d-s would result in a bunch of other garballs, that
can't be built. (Just one example.)

If you want to skip the faulty garball, and know it wouldn't harm your
build, it is easy to do so:

$ mv meta-garball/garball/ meta-garball/.garball/

Running paranoid-install after this will continue where it left off,
skipping that garball. Be careful about dependencies, though... HTH

...guenther