Disable '--enable-tests --enable-debug' in 2.15.90 ?

These arguments seem to tickle an odd bug in gaim+meanwhile; the exact
same versions work fine in 2.14.x. I'm suspecting --enable-tests and
--enable-debug, and would like to disable them.

I've tried adding '--disable-foo' CONFIGURE_ARGS in the Gar makefile,
but the final invocation of ./configure has the '--enable-foo'
versions magically appended; is there an easy way to switch this off ?

Thanks,

- Adam