Re: PKG_CONFIG_PATH gets clobbered ?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 06:13:38PM +0200, guenther wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 10:02 -0400, John Affleck wrote:
> > So I'm trying garnome-2.12.0 on a system I've had luck building
> > garnome on in the past.  It's an interesting experience, since it's a
> > RH 7.1 based box that I don't have root access to.  This means I end
> > up building a lot of support packages that aren't in bootstrap (Mesa,
> > libpng, for example) and sticking them somewhere.
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^
> Huh, somewhere? ;)
>
> What about your GARNOME main_prefix? If you do this, the pkgconfig files
> should be magically available.
>
> Besides, if you need or want to build extra dependencies, rather than
> installing them from packages (which you obviously can't), you could
> easily hack a simple garball [1] for any extra dep, thus kind of
> ensuring a sane "somewhere" and eliminating a lot of manually
> building...

I do that where possible, but I have a log of 'cruft' from prior
none-garnome hackery, and not a lot of disk-space.  Mesa doesn't
appear to be auto-configurable, which makes it significantly more
painful to garball-ify as opposed to 'tar jxf; make'.  Plus I don't
really want fo have to do recompiles for relatively static packages if
I don't have to.

I think there's justification for allowing a user-defined
PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but I don't care that much.  Like Joseph said, it's
pretty trivial to modify gar.conf.mk.

	John A.