about patches and GNOME

Hi list and active patch suppliers,

First of all, I really do love the current high activity and hacking
regarding GARNOME and the garballs. It's fun to watch and great to see
this interest. So please, don't get me wrong.

On the other hand, I see a lot of patches just to make apps build, fix
GCC $version_of_the_day issues, etc.

Unless these patches are copied from the respective apps CVS, they
really should be attached to a (new) bug in bugzilla (filed against that
app) and be applied upstream. So please consider any custom patch to be
added to the respective app, rather than GARNOME only. Sure, if you did
this, it's great to add it to GARNOME too instantly, until the next
tarball release incorporates this patch.

Remember, any patch in GARNOME only will not contribute to GNOME in
general -- which we do want.

Oh, in case you wonder -- yes, I'm aware this counteracts my previously
posted plans for GARNOME to take over world domination... ;-)

Another note about patches: Unless they are really huge, please consider
attaching plain patches (against GARNOME) to mails, rather than
compressed ones. This makes it way more easy for anyone to have a look
at the patch.

Thanks for reading. ;)  Comments welcome, of course...

...guenther