Galago desktop presence framework: preliminary observations

Summary
=======

        The Galago desktop presence framework is not quite ready to be
        used with GARNOME.

Discussion
==========
Took a look at the Galago desktop presence framework,

        http://www.galago.info/news/index.php

since some GNOME applications are beginning to add support for

        libnotify / notification-daemon

which allow applications to display passive pop-up notifications that
won't interrupt what the user is doing.

The good news is the currently available source code builds under the
GARNOME-2.11.92.1 environment.  The bad news is the current source code
does not appear to be compatible with dbus-0.36.x.

I found that dbus-0.36.2 did not automatically launch the

        notification-daemon

service when running the tests for libnotify [both version 0.21 &
0.22(SVN)]. If the daemon was started manually, the tests ran.

I have an older version of dbus, 0.23.4, installed under /usr. I built
the SVN code [version 2156] for libnotify and notification-daemon and
installed these under /usr. dbus-0.23.4 was able to automatically launch
the notification-daemon service.  Most, but not all, of the libnotify
tests ran. Specifically, test-xy and test-xy-stress failed.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net