Re: x86_64 probs with 2.12.1

Hi Adam,

	For a start, thanks for such a detailed report -- I haven't been able
to test GNOME 2.12 on 64bit hardware as much as i'd like :)

> > * GARNOME will use .pc files from 64bit library directories, if required.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm running fc3 / x86_64, and 2.12.1 failed for
> me pretty quickly during linking; I googled up the errors, and after
> some voodoo found that the following change made things work better:
>
>   #LDFLAGS += -Wl,--export-dynamic -L$(libdir)
>   LDFLAGS += -L$(libdir)

If you just remove the --export-dynamic, does it work? i've heard of
similar issues before, but no-one has ever got back to me with a
confirmed test.

> In addition, I setup the following ENV vars before invoking garnome:
>
>   CFLAGS  = -march=athlon64 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -fPIC
>   LDFLAGS = -L$(PREFIX)/lib -L/lib64 -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/local/lib64
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lXtst
>
> (the Xtst is for some bizarre linking problem I couldn't solve)

Adding the LDFLAGS to the core GARNOME install is probably a good idea,
at least for /lib and /usr/lib, so they match their 32bit counterparts.

> I also have to perform the following tweaks:
>  * disable GIMP_PRINT for gimp

FWIW, I have never been able to get Gimp to print, even on 32bit archs
-- but Guenther and Joseph have, so i'd assumed (perhaps falsely) that
it was a problem on my local box, and re-added it.

>  * upgrade fifth-toe/gnet to 2.0.7, so it can configure correctly on x86_64

Upgraded in my local branch :)

>  * post-configure hack for gkrellm, to use /usr/X11R6/lib64

Please report this to the gkrellm maintainer.

>  * skip all of mono

Add your name to the list :)

> My biggest unsolved problem in this x86_64 build is that my native
> 64bit firefox won't pick up 32bit plugins, and so I can't listen to
> BBC radio in my browser (I patiently await a 64bit safe version of
> helixplayer) - which is to say, not a very big problem at all :)

BBC5 works in Totem (with the gst-ffmpeg plugin and a copy of MAD for
decoding the stream) -- I used the totem-mozilla plugin to listen to
most of the Ashes broadcast nicely in GARNOME.

Regards,

Paul