Problem building nautilus in Garnome 2.10.0.1

I'm trying to build garnome on a custom system (long ago, it was
debian stable. Almost everything has been rebuilt.) And nautilus keeps
failing to configure. It's trying to find libexif, and though I have
pkg-config, libexif-0.5.12 and 0.6.12, I keep getting the following
error:

checking for libExif... checking for libexif > 0.5.12... Package
libexif was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libexif.pc'
No package 'libexif' found
checking for libexif = 0.5.12... Package libexif was not found in the
pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libexif.pc'
No package 'libexif' found

configure: error: Library requirements (libexif = 0.5.12) not met; consider adju
sting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are
in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
make: *** [configure-work/main.d/nautilus-2.10.0/configure] Error 1

I looked at the FAQ note about libexif, but all it says is to
uncomment the PATCHESFILE line -- the only one I have in my Makefile
is "PATCHFILES = gar-base.diff" which is already not commented out.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Take care,
Marti

--