2.10.0.1 Application "nautilus" has quit unexpectedly

Hello,

  I recently tried to upgrade from garnome 2.8 to 2.10.0.1.  To get a
clean start, I renamed my old ~/garnome folder and then started from
scratch.  I had to resolve a few dependencies, but ultimately everything
built.  The problem began when I launched the gnome desktop:  typing
"startx" with a proper .xinitrc (as described on the garnome home page)
got me to a desktop, but I get multiple error windows that all say "The
Application 'nautilus' has quit unexpectedly.'  When I clicked "Close",
nautilus tries to restart and returns back to the same error message.  The
gnome-panel was running, and I could launch various applications, opening
pictures and documents.

  Next I tried renaming the following directories:  ~/.gnome2, ~/.gconf,
~/.gconfd, and ~/.nautilus to allow them to be recreated.  On first try,
this seemed to be an improvement, as nautilus actually started and seemed
to work fine, but gnome-panel was now in a state where it kept "exiting
unexpectedly".  I exited out of the desktop and restarted it, at which
time both nautilus and gnome-panel went into a loop of "exiting
unexpetedly".  That's were I'm at now.

  Can anyone give me a couple of pointers on how to debug this?  I've
obviously done something very wrong, but I'm not sure what.  The only
"abnormal" think I can remember having to do was nautilus wouldn't build
as it couldn't find libexif, so I downloaded libexif-0.6.12 from the
project's sourceforge page.  Once that was installed, nautilus built fine.
 Perhaps this is the wrong version of libexif?

  Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
 -Jeremy