Re: gst-register question

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Ivan Noris wrote:

Hi Paul,

each other user will get problems regarding sound (does not work etc.), unless
he/she runs gst-register in his/her shell.

This is a GARNOME-semi-specific issue -- because we install all of our
configuration files to a separate prefix (ie. not /etc) -- running
gst-register from a system account will find no information to update.

Well, I'm installing as root (do not bomb me :) and this means I have
proper paths set in environment when running gst-register (post-install
in gst-* package). The user which logs into GNOME has the same paths...

I have not explored this thoroughly, because running gst-register is a
good workaround and placing it into the session script would be enough
for working in multi-user environment, although I don't like it ;)

You could write a script that gets run from /etc/bash_profile, or whatever startup script your user uses that does something like

if [ -e $HOME/registry.xml ]

that way, it'll try and detect to see if gstreamer has a valid registry, and if so, not run gst-register. It's slightly ugly, but adding one file test on login shouldn't add too much cruft

This surely happens when migrating user to next major GNOME release (2.6 ->
2.8 and 2.8 -> 2.9 (2.10) in my case).

In GARNOME though, it only happens when you build one of the
GStreamer-related packages.

Yes, of course. But when I build Garnome, there are such packages.

I hope I will have some time these days to explore this thing.

Many thanks anyway and regards,

Matt Rose	   mattrose folkwolf net
He's an uncontrollable guerilla barbarian who must take medication to
keep him sane. She's a wealthy mutant pearl diver with the power to bend
men's minds. They fight crime!