trouble building garnome 10.0.1 (hal related)

I'm going through the install and I get to the part where it builds gnome-volume-manager
and it stops because it needs hal and dbus. So I switch to the boot strap directy and I
first did the install of dbus which went withou problems. Then when I attempt to build hal
it stop in the configuration with:

checking for BLKGETSIZE64... no
configure: error: BLKGETSIZE64 is not defined

I'm not reallling sure how to get past it. I had a simaler problem with the 10.0 and tried to
just remove gvm but that resulted in even more problems.