FYI: Building Garnome 2.10.0 on Mandrake 9.1

Hi all,

not sure if there is anyone with ancient Mandrake 9.1, but I've successfully
built another release and I'm sending you some info about building if anyone
is interested.

I've built many custom packages (created GAR-packages) to be able to compile
GNOME. These packages were saved in the 'proposed' directory in Garnome tree.
I've compiled Garnome as root, because I have more users sharing my computer.

Packages build order:

proposed:
SDL
SDL_mixer
SDL_net
libogg
libvorbis: needs to remove all references of "examples" from Makefile, does
not build with it
libid3tag
libmad
libexif 0.5.9 + overflow patch for 0.6.11 manually hacked
libmusicbrainz

Now some corrections for packages' Makefiles:

desktop/esd: I need to use --disable-alsa or I don't get any sound. This
should be not MDK specific, but I've some problem in my installation.

platform/glib/Makefile: uncomment --with-libiconv-gnu
platform/glib, gtk+:

need to insert
        CONFIGURE_ARGS := $(shell echo $(CONFIGURE_ARGS) | sed
's,--disable-debug,--enable-debug=minimal,')

right after "include".

gnome-games: remove all references of aisleriot z Makefile
gnome-panel: remove evolution-data-server dependency

vte: remove bindings/pygtk dependency (very old python in MDK9.1)

yelp: I cannot compile it because I don't have Firefox/Mozilla installed from
source and thus have no gtkmozembed library.

desktop/sound-juicer: add proposed/libmusicbrainz to LIBDEPS

bootstrap/
autoconf*
automake*
bison
docbook*
expat
libiconv
gettext
pkgconfig
libtool
render
xrender
freetype
fontconfig
xft
libtheora
hicolor-icon-scheme
shared-mime-info
xcursor

Not building some packages:

cd desktop/
mv dasher/ epiphany/ evolution* gnopernicus/ gnome-volume-manager
ximian-connector/ totem/ ../broken/

cd desktop
make paranoid-install

Now compile all other packages which you need. I've added "beep-media-player"
as another proposed package, because it looks like XMMS and is nice.

Su to your normal account, set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, run gst-register and
log on to GNOME.

Splash screen is nice and GNOME runs.

End of this ugly howto ;)

p.s. I can share the gar-Makefiles for my added packages if anybody is
interested.

Regards,
Ivan
--

  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.