updating linux kernel version impacts GARNOME

Updating the linux kernel appears to impact ASLA-based sound.
Applications that use gstream like rhythmbox and cdplayer no longer
work.

Questions:
* why is that true?
* what needs to be done to "fix" things?

Observation:
This seems to be a GNOME dot-file issue.  If I create a new user account
and then start up the GARNOME desktop, all is well.  So..., something is
wrong with the dot-files in my home directory.

The sledgehammer approach is to remove all GNOME related dotfiles from
my home directory and start over.  There must be a better way.

Thoughts???

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net