Re: Combined apps among different Gnome versions

Short answer: yes...
[assuming you followed the instructions in the GARNOME README]

In your garnome_session script make sure that XDG_DATA_DIRS includes
both the new and the old.

Here is a copy of the one I use:

        #!/bin/sh

        GARNOME=/opt/garnome
        GNOME2_PATH=$GARNOME
        PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$GARNOME/sbin:$PATH
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$GARNOME/lib/firefox-1.0.5:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages
        PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0
        XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share:/usr/share
        XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg
        GDK_USE_XFT=1

        export GNOME2_PATH PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

The next thing to do is read the new menu spec,

        http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec

to figure out how to remove unwanted duplicates.

-Joseph