firefox issues with profiles

If I execute firefox a second time (i.e. open one window, then start
firefox again while that one is still open), instead of getting a new
window, I get the profile manager telling me I need to pick a profile to
run; if I choose default (the only one I have) I get an error saying
that profile is already in use.

Also, on the first window, it always asks if I want to make firefox my
default browser, even if I have already said yes to that in the past.

This only happens with the firefox that GARNOME builds.  I normally run
the firefox I download and install from mozilla.org, and that works just
fine.  Removing my ~/.mozilla directory doesn't make a difference.

What's going on?

Raul