Re: No icons on the desktop

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 13:20 +1000, Glenn Mason wrote:
> Hey, I'm new to all this, but with garnome 2.8.0 I don't have any
> icons (well, they're all the default icon) -- is there an easy fix?
> (I seem to remember something on this list ages ago, but I can't find
> it)

Make sure that bootstrap/shared-mime-info is installed and that both
XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_DATA_HOME variables are exported correctly.

The easiest way to do this is to put these in your .xinitrc file:

--- [ cut here ] ---

XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
XDG_DATA_HOME=$XDG_DATA_DIRS
export XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_DATA_HOME

--- [ end cut here ] ---

> Also, epiphany doesn't start (it can't find an .so ... but I can't
> remember which) ... I've got the file in a firefox install, can I just
> copy it, or modify the LD path thingamy?  (I'm at work now so I won't
> get to try it until tonight!!!)

Nope, Epiphany requires a Mozilla 1.7.2 install to work correctly, and
the changes required to make it work with Firefox are non-trivial ones.

Regards,

Paul