No icons on the desktop

Hey, I'm new to all this, but with garnome 2.8.0 I don't have any icons (well, they're all the default icon) -- is there an easy fix?  (I seem to remember something on this list ages ago, but I can't find it)

Also, epiphany doesn't start (it can't find an .so ... but I can't remember which) ... I've got the file in a firefox install, can I just copy it, or modify the LD path thingamy?  (I'm at work now so I won't get to try it until tonight!!!)

That said, some of the other improvements to Gnome are really cool!!

Cheers,
-- Glenn