Re: Start script for GNOME 2.6.1

%% "Dr. Georg N.Nyman" <gnnyman swissonline ch> writes:

  gnn> one has to enter for the PATH the path to the executable files -
  gnn> but what is this and where would they be? What should I use? How
  gnn> should I write this?

It should be written exactly as you have it.  To answer your first
question: this variable tells the runtime linker where to look for
shared libraries.  By default it will look in /lib and /usr/lib, so if
you want it to look anywhere else (like the Garnome lib directory) you
have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

  gnn> Can you please advise - when I use the start command like

  gnn> startx $HOME/garnome/bin/garnome.sh

  gnn> the new start logo comes and then it looks like the older GNOME
  gnn> version what comes......

This sounds to me like the problem someone else was having the other
day.

After you get Garnome built and you're ready to try it you have to do
more than just exit and restart X.  There is a Gnome configuration
daemon (gconfd) which does _NOT_ exit when you log out.  It keeps
running and when you log in again you'll continue to use the previous
one if it's still running.  If the previous one is from our older
version of Gnome, you won't get any of the new Gnome showing up.

So, you have to do one of two things:

 1) Reboot.  That will definitely kill it :-)

 2) Find the gconfd process and kill it.  I just used "ps -aef" to find
    it, then ran "kill <pid>" to kill it; there's probably some more
    acceptable way to do this but I don't know what it is.

I wonder if this (or the aforementioned "more acceptable way") should go
into the FAQ and/or README for Garnome, since it seems like it will be a
very common hurdle for people moving from 2.6 to 2.8... anyone?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools