Nautilus crashing...

Has anybody else had the problem of Nautilus crashing all over the
place?  I've installed garnome 2.8.0 into my home directory (default
install settings) on Fedora Core 2, and removed all .gnome* .gconf*
.metacity and .'anything else I could find' settings.  Nothing seems to
help.

Other issues I'm having (maybe related):
* Evolution fails on startup with
'Your system configuration does not match your Evolution configuration.'
* Most gnome applets are at version 2.6.1.x - I was expecting 2.8.*

Can anyone give me any hints on these?

Thanks,
Rob.