Re: delay at boot time

Dear Jim,

A few questions to get the answer to your problem.

1 When you boot up your gnome session do you type in a command like startx of gdm to start the window manager or do you immediatly boot into the graphical interface 2 If you start your window manager manualy while the gnome session is starting you can go back by pressing alt-ctrl and F1 for the first terminal session. Depending on which terminal you started the gnome sessions press alt F1 to F6. This should show the log of what is happening during the gnome startup on your screen. If you wan't to get the satrtup log into a file use the normal command to start the session and add this after the startup command. startx 2> /home/jim/log

What this will do is 1 execute command startx and then put all the output in file /home/jim/log

I hope that this helps you finding the initial problem. If you need more help feel free to email the list again.

Cheers,

Stef

Jim Maas wrote:

Thanks Stef,

I'm sufficiently new to this... and green, that I don't know where this file is or what it's called ... any clues?

Thanks and regards

Jim

Stef van der Made wrote:

Dear Jim,

A first look at the startup log on the console can give you some hints on what is going on.

Cheers

Stef

Jim Maas wrote:

First, thanks to all who have contributed, enjoying Garnome a bunch.

Since loading Garnome, and some other stuff including mysql, apache, php among others, Garnome has a long delay during bootup. I get the glass ball, click on this screen and then the computer waits for about two minutes before completing the boot up. Is there a way for me to check a log or something and diagnose/fix this delay?

Thanks

Jim

Jim Maas        jamaas   btinternet   com

Jim Maas Ph.D.
29 Amber Close
Earley, Reading, UK
RG6 7ED