Nautilus folder icons not showing

Hello all,

I still can't get nautilus to display the "system" icons -- folders,
home, The Computer, etc. all show up as the default icon (the little
blank page).

I'm on SuSE 9.1.  I've 'make install' shared-mime-info and
hicolor-icon-theme from bootstrap, then 'make paranoid-install' in
desktop.  XDG_DATA_DIRS is exported and set to $GARNOME/share, and the
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons directory has a bunch of stuff in it (including
fully populated hicolor and gnome directories).

I've rebuilt eel, then gnome-icon-theme, then nautilus, exited and
restarted to no avail.  I'm going crazy here!  Is there any way I can
debug where nautilus is looking for these icons?

Oh, and it doesn't matter what theme I have; they're still just the
default icon.

Thanks