Mozilla compile fails in nsFontMetricsXft.cpp ?

Hi all;

I'm trying to build garnome 2.8.1 on a Red Hat 8.0 box (this is a
company standard install so I can't upgrade it).

Because there is no Mozilla 1.7 here, and I can't find RH8 RPMs for it,
I uncommented the dependency in epiphany/Makefile and ran "make clean;
make install" from within the epiphany directory, as described in the
README.

It seemed to chug along compiling Mozilla for quite a while, but it
failed building mozilla/gfx/src/gtk/nsFontMetricsXft.cpp with this
error:

  nsFontMetricsXft.cpp: In member function `virtual nsresult
     nsFontXft::GetTextExtents32(const FcChar32*, unsigned int, XGlyphInfo&)':
  nsFontMetricsXft.cpp:1929: invalid conversion from `const FcChar32*' to `
     FcChar32*'

I looked on Google and the only reference I found to this error was
someone else (Paul Miller) reporting this problem to this very list on
March 6 of this year:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2004-March/msg00017.html

But there was no followup :-(

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this?  I actually looked at
the code and it looks fine to me: the class seems to be local to that
file and all the references I could see were const; I didn't see any
non-const references.  One concern I have is that RH8 shipped with GCC
3.2 (straight), which is kind of old; I wonder if this is hitting a bug
in that version of the compiler?

Anyone have any ideas?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools