Re: Various compile problems in 2.8.0.1

Today at 2:09, ohookins optusnet com au wrote:

> I have noticed that quite a few times while
> compiling it will bail out with undeclared
> variable errors. These are no problem - I just
> declare the variable at the top of the function
> and it compiles. I seem to recall in standard C
> that variable declaration must be in a block at
> the top of the function, but is the bailing out
> due to my old gcc being picky or would this
> happen under any circumstances? I guess what I am
> thinking is that everyone else is using a more
> recent version of gcc that may not be as picky.

That is indeed the problem.  Unfortunately, there're very little of
"us" left with old non-C99 compilers (such as GCC 2.95.3 which I'm
using, or GCC 2.95.4 which you are), so these problems get in quite
often.  C99 standard (ISO/ANSI Standard for C language published in
1999) allows declarations in the middle of a block, and that's what
GCC 3 and higher support, and programmers use.

Only way to resolve them at least for others and yourself when you
build next time, is to report bugs immediately, possibly with the
patch.

> The second issue I have encountered is with
> Mozilla. I didn't have a compiled version of it
> already so I had to use the bootstrap (Mozilla
> 1.7.3). The compile options in Makefile include
> "--enable-svg" but they do not include which SVG
> renderer to use. Thus the compilation of Mozilla
> bails out with a "no svg renderer" error
> (fortunately easy to find on Google). So we need
> to include an svg renderer option in that
> Makefile as well. I personally just took out the
> svg option because I didn't have libart or anything.

It's assumed you're satisfying some basic dependencies.  If you're
not, it's up to you to provide them and take care of them.  The catch
with GARNOME (and any other automated build system) is that it's
hardest to do a first build.  Every next one is so much easier.

Cheers,
Danilo