Various compile problems in 2.8.0.1

I gave up on 2.8.0 after too many compile
problems, but now a few minor things again in
2.8.0.1. Once again I'm using Debian 3.0 with gcc
2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease).

I have noticed that quite a few times while
compiling it will bail out with undeclared
variable errors. These are no problem - I just
declare the variable at the top of the function
and it compiles. I seem to recall in standard C
that variable declaration must be in a block at
the top of the function, but is the bailing out
due to my old gcc being picky or would this
happen under any circumstances? I guess what I am
thinking is that everyone else is using a more
recent version of gcc that may not be as picky.

The second issue I have encountered is with
Mozilla. I didn't have a compiled version of it
already so I had to use the bootstrap (Mozilla
1.7.3). The compile options in Makefile include
"--enable-svg" but they do not include which SVG
renderer to use. Thus the compilation of Mozilla
bails out with a "no svg renderer" error
(fortunately easy to find on Google). So we need
to include an svg renderer option in that
Makefile as well. I personally just took out the
svg option because I didn't have libart or anything.

Regards,
Oliver