Re: sun keyboard

Hi,

> My keyboard died and I had an usb sun type6 keyboard around :). After
> fiddling some with linux and upgrading X to 4.4 it works. BUT the
> keyboard caplet in the control center does not know the keyboard so I
> cannot use it fully. Anybody any idea how to add this to it?

I have never used Sun's keyboard on anything other than Sun
workstation/thin client. But while compiling gnome-applets, I've noticed
following:

When compiling gnome-applets (particularly gkb applet), a decision is
made, if you are on Solaris of some other platform. There are two
directories with keymaps in sources, one for Solaris and the other for
Linux (other platforms?). The keyboards maps are different for
architectures like Sun and x86, so the "right" directory gets installed.

The keyboard map you need is probably located in:
gnome-applets/gkb-new/xmodmap.sun/

and the description for applet in:

gnome-applets/gkb-new/descs.sun/

You may try to copy the map and description file to appropriate places
(/opt/gnome-xxx/share/xmodmap/, /opt/gnome-xxx/share/gnome/gkb/). Please
backup existing files first, as this-ugly-copy would overwrite them.

I hope this helps.

VIX
--
  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.