Re: Am I there yet? :-)

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:47:34 -0800 Bob Kashani wrote:
>On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 01:01, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> <quote who="Bob Gustafson">

>> > Why not. 4.4.0 is a bigger number than 4.3.0
>>
>> That's a hideous reason to upgrade anything, but particularly XFree86, given
>> the licensing issues with 4.4.0. :-)
>
>What's even more interesting is: What are you gonna do now that XFree86
>is no longer in FC2-test? Red Hat removed XFree86 from FC2-test on
>Friday.
>
>Try running 'up2date -u' and you shall see. It removed XFree86 on my
>FC2-test system and replaced it with xorg-x11. Pretty snazzy!!! :-)
>
>Bob

I hadn't hears about licensing issues with XFree86. I did click on
www.x.org in a (brief) attempt to get more information about xorg-x11 and
saw that an 'upcoming event' was listed as happening on 16-jun-2003. This
did not give me confidence - maybe I am in the wrong place.

Just to check on the licensing - I clicked on www.XFree.org and read their
statements. I seems as though the 'Free' remains in their charter.

(Jeff Waugh) I don't see any licensing issues - maybe you can explain.

I clicked on Download on the www.x.org site and was shown a sign-in page.
It seems as though there may be more licensing issues there than on the
XFree site. Admittedly, I did not dig very deeply.

My currently running fedora/garnome system seems to be more fedora than
garnome, but it definitely is running the latest XF86Conf stuff (at least
as far as I can tell..) rather than the code loaded with update -u (which
does show 'up to date').

Also, I use VNC a lot - it seems as though the latest XFree86 has vnc built
in as a module. I think I am also connecting with that rather than the
fedora vnc.

=====
[root hoho2 user1]# which -a X
/usr/X11R6/bin/X
[root hoho2 user1]# X -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 XFree86 Org and patches submitted
to fixes XFree86 Org   Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).

XFree86 Version 4.4.99.1
Release Date: 12 March 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.1-1.65smp i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux hoho2.chidig.com 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp #1
SMP Fri
 Mar 12 14:23:36 EST 2004 i686
Build Date: 14 March 2004
Changelog Date: 12 March 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
[root hoho2 user1]#

That Build date got me thinking - hmm

[root hoho2 cvs]# xfree4.4.0/build/programs/Xserver/XFree86  -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 XFree86 Org and patches submitted
to fixes XFree86 Org   Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).

XFree86 Version 4.4.99.1
Release Date: 12 March 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux hoho2.chidig.com 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp #1
SMP Fri
 Mar 12 14:23:36 EST 2004 i686
Build Date: 20 March 2004
Changelog Date: 19 March 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
[root hoho2 cvs]# ls -l xfree4.4.0/build/programs/Xserver/XFree86
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1802600 Mar 20 11:41
xfree4.4.0/build/programs/Xserver/X
Free86
[root hoho2 cvs]#

I guess that a 'make install' was not done the last time I built XFree
(after installing the new kernel via fedora up2date).

Doing that now, and killing X and doing a startx, I get:
(Hmm, the 'make install' of XFree86 takes a long time - especially while
looking at it from a slow remote terminal).

OK, now kill off the vncserver - /etc/init.d/vncserver stop and start X up
again 'startx'.

[root hoho2 init.d]# which -a XFree86
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
[root hoho2 init.d]# /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 XFree86 Org and patches submitted
to fixes XFree86 Org   Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).

XFree86 Version 4.4.99.1
Release Date: 12 March 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux hoho2.chidig.com 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp #1
SMP Fri
 Mar 12 14:23:36 EST 2004 i686
Build Date: 22 March 2004
Changelog Date: 19 March 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
[root hoho2 init.d]#

Seems as though the 'Build Date' should be 'Install Date'

I checked the console X and it seems OK (I can still win at Solitaire :-) )

I hope this helps.

BobG