Start script for GNOME 2.6.1

Hello to everyone,
I am asking probably a very dumb question, but despite this fact, I need your
help.
If have compiled 2.6.1 and use the suggested start script, which I put in
~/garnome/bin.
This is the script:

 #!/bin/sh
     GARNOME=/home/gnnyman/garnome
     PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.2/site-packages
     PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
     XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
     GDK_USE_XFT=1
     export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
XDG_DATA_DIRS
     exec $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session

As you can see, the directory for garnome is /home/gnnyman/garnome, but what I
do not understand due to lack of knowledge is the following command which I
was told has to be executed after the compiling of garnome:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

one has to enter for the PATH the path to the executable files - but what is
this and where would they be? What should I use? How should I write this?

Can you please advise - when I use the start command like

startx $HOME/garnome/bin/garnome.sh

the new start logo comes and then it looks like the older GNOME version what
comes......

Thanks and please email me your wisdom at gnnyman swissonline ch