Re: 0.29.1 font troubles...

Peter Blokland <peter desk nl> writes:

> ** (gnome-session:29584): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
> Bitstream Vera Sans 10
> ** (gnome_segv:29620): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
> Bitstream Vera Sans 10
>
> reverting to garnome-0.28.3, everything is fine, including using that
> font. it's present in every .font.cache-1 I can find :
>
> "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf" 0 1074162816 "Bitstream Vera Sans

It's probably some fontconfig and/or freetype issue.

Also, Gnome uses new font architecture for a long time, so you want to
try "fc-list" to check whether Vera is available ('fc-list Vera').

fc-cache should be able to generate a local per-user cache if
anything has changed in the original, non-writable directories.

Yet, my suspect is that you've got installed a new fontconfig, which
has its configuration file in ~/garnome/etc/fonts/fonts.conf and
local.conf, whereas Vera is listed in system-wide
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf and local.conf, so you might want to copy those
files over to ~/garnome/etc/fonts/ instead, and run fc-list to
refresh cache, and check whether Vera is found now.

Cheers,
Danilo