0.29.1 font troubles...

hi,

compiled 0.29.1 today, went like a charm. but it won't start.

using gdm : when starting gdm, it crashes/restarts 5 times, then
gives up (this is _before_ the greeter even appears).
$GARNOME/var/log/gdm is silent, just the normal X-startup notices.

using startx or starting from bare X/xterm session (using ~./xsession
modelled after the one on the garnome website) errors appear like this :

** (gnome-session:29584): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
Bitstream Vera Sans 10
** (gnome_segv:29620): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
Bitstream Vera Sans 10

reverting to garnome-0.28.3, everything is fine, including using that
font. it's present in every .font.cache-1 I can find :

"/usr/share/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf" 0 1074162816 "Bitstream Vera Sans

(both in my homedir and in the system-wide dirs). the only hint I've
got : both xlsfonts and fslsfonts won't show the Vera-fonts (although
they show a number of ttf-fonts). I tried updating everything, the
font-path in the X-config, the config of the font-server, running
mkttfdir in the correct directories. nothing helps, but 0.28.3
continues to work (fortunately).

I got the feeling it's got something to do with the change in garnome,
especially the 'bootstrap'-items, which now don't build automatically.
To combat that, I upgraded my Xserver to the newest one in debian-
testing, so I got all the stuff like Xrender,Xrandr, freetype, etc
(and their -dev packages of course). and because everything compiles
fine, I don't know where to look next for more clues...

anybody got any hints ?

--
CUL8R, Peter.